DATE: 1982
NEAREST TOWN: Fort Benning, Georgia

My name is Terry. I am retired from the U.S. Navy and am currently working in High Speed Data Management for a company in California. I have a degree in Business Administration. I am about to tell you of two encounters I have had with what I think is a sasquatch.

Encounter #1

In 1982, my girlfriend and I were driving back from our High School Senior Prom (Georgia-Chattahoochee river border area, Chavala High School). Our high school was 37 miles down river "way out" in the sticks. As we were driving back home, we came to a flat 2-mile section of road that had a "slippery-when-wet" sign about half way down on the right. Because we were tired, (sober), and both awake the reflection from the sign caught our attention. As we came closer to the sign, something moved or reflected catching our attention. About 100 feet away as we approached with our car lights fully beaming, we saw this massive black hairy creature leaning on the sign. The top of the sign I guessed to be about 10 feet high. Whatever this creature was, all we could see was the top of the chest and down (about 10 foot of the creature!) We couldn't see the head. It just stood there. We could see the massive frame and muscles, most in rippling detail, shiny black fur, standing with a human like intelligence. We sped up, all the while screaming at each other, scared to death. A mile down the road my left rear tire blew. I drove seven miles to the first house with a light and called my father to come help us. First, I must say beyond a shadow of any doubt that this was no hoax. The costume alone would have cost thousands of dollars to create. Second, the people that live in that area are extremely poor. Matter of fact, the home that we drove up to after our tire blew had light seeping through the cracks in the siding of the house, while it sat on cinder blocks. This was an experience I will never forget.

Encounter #2

My girlfriend, her father and I were parked on the bank of the Chattahoochee River (Georgia side on the Fort Benning Military Reservation, the military airfield is right across the river). My girl-friend's father was sitting on the hood of the car with his fishing pole in front of him. He was night cat fishing. While we sat there, with our car lights shining across the river, my girlfriend and I were sitting in the front seat just making small talk. All of a sudden I heard the most horribly incredible scream coming from my right side. Our car was parked about 2 feet from the water on the bank. Off to my right about 60 feet was where the foliage began. Very swampy, very thick and very hard to walk through. About 40 feet up the bank (which can't be seen from our car because of the foliage) is a huge Oak Tree. I'd have to guess that the tree had about a 15 foot circumference, massive! About 10 feet up the tree is a huge branch that went about 20 feet out over the river. When I heard the scream my body instantly went into what I think was shock. As I turned to my right slowly all my hair was standing straight up. We heard another sound right away that sounded like a huge branch shaking like someone jumping off into the water. The splash that came next was equally horrific. All we did was just sit there in shock, waiting, (I have no idea what we were waiting for) staring straight ahead at the water. We waited and waited for what seemed like hours when all of a sudden an huge black object--about 9 feet long/tall-- floated into the view of our headlights and stopped. It must have been a deliberate action since it was floating downstream. We stared at it forever it seemed until it opened it's eyes, (two huge balls of red light reflecting off the headlights of our car I imagine) and looked at us. I have no idea when my girlfriend's father got back into the car but he put the car in reverse and we sped off, extremely terrified.